Friday, April 10, 2009

Explaining about a Japanese sentence...

こんにちは。

For this post, I'm going to explain about something in a Japanese sentence or the Japanese grammar...

Usually in the English language, you connect words in a sentence by starting with Proper noun follow by a verb and end with a noun.

For example:

"I want to eat pizza."

"I" is a proper noun.

"want to eat" is a verb.

"Pizza" is a noun.

But if you want to say it in Japanese:

私はピザを食べたいです。
(わたしは ピザを たべたい です)

私(わたし)(I/Me) is a proper noun.

ピザ (pizza) is a noun.

食べたい(たべたい)(want to eat) is a verb.

食べる(たべる)(To eat)


So let's take a look at the difference between an English sentence and a Japanese sentence:

For English:
Proper noun ---> verb ---> noun

For Japanese:
Proper noun は noun を verb

In a Japanese sentence, when you see the letter は connected, it will not be read as HA, it'll be read as WA. The letter を is used for connecting the noun and a verb together into a sentence.

When you combine ピザ and 食べたい(たべたい)with を in between and you get the sentence ピザを食べたい(ピザを たべたい) which means "want to eat pizza".

Literally わたしは means "I will" but if you combine that with a sentence, it'll become a different meaning.

It's not just わたしは。It can also be あなたは and so on. (which I will explain next time).

です Literally means "It's" or "It is" but it depends on what sentence you use with it.

I'm sorry that I have to make this short. But I hope I will explain some more soon in another post.

Sorry... No manga illustrations on today's post... Been feeling tired at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment